Among those wonderful Amazonian oils that benefit skin is copaíba, an oil that comes from the resin of the copaifera reticulata tree which grows in Brazil and other South American countries. Unlike many of the other oils and butters we’ve been featuring lately, copaíba oil doesn’t come from a seed or nut but rather the lifeblood (sap) of a tree. It has wonderful anti-inflammatory and acne-fighting properties, making it a particularly beneficial addition to routine skincare.
Visual Properties: Honey-toned, yellow-brown
Flavor: Woodsy, slightly bitter, pungent flavor and aroma
Origin: Copaifera reticulata leguminous trees in Central and South America
Location: South America
Uses: Traditional medicine, insect repellant, soaps, artist material, biodiesel, essential oil (diffused or topical application)
Copaíba oil is also very significant to the Amazon region because it makes up around 95 percent of Brazil’s production of oil-resin. Annual production is estimated to be approximately 500 tons. It’s produced by distilling the gum resin from the copaifera reticulata tree to generate a steam, which settles into this luxurious oil. A single copaifera reticulata tree can grow up to 100 feet and produce as much as 12 gallons of copaíba oil each season.
Benefits of Copaíba Oil
As a longtime traditional medicine in South America and particularly Brazil, the benefits of copaíba resin oil for skin are numerous. From treating skin problems to improving the health and natural beauty of your skin, this oil is one worth adding to your skincare routine. Copaíba oil is well known for its healing effects thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, making it a wonderful treatment for infection, skin problems, and muscular/skin pain relief. It’s actually considered to be one of the most anti-inflammatory substances on Earth!
Notable Skin Benefits of Copaíba Oil:
- Neutral emollient that retains moisture within the skin
- Anti-inflammatory thanks to richness of the compound beta-caryophyllene
- Contains natural acne-fighting properties
- Infuses the skin with powerful nutrients and compounds to help reduce the appearance of acne, scarring, stretch marks and other blemishes
- Astringent properties help tighten the skin and muscles and prevent the appearance of wrinkles
- Calming aroma (creates a warm, welcoming ambiance when diffused)
- Lightweight carrier oil that’s perfect for a natural beard oil
- Antiseptic, anti-tumor, anti-tetanus and anti-hemorrhagic properties
Ways to Use Copaíba Oil
When using copaíba oil or adding it to your other skincare products, the oil brings its anti-inflammatory, moisturizing and skin-tightening benefits to promote healthier skin. Here are some ways to use copaíba oil for skincare:
- Add it to your favorite moisturizer to enhance healthy-looking skin
- Apply topically as an exquisite facial oil to promote healthier skin
- Apply to flex points after activity to promote an uplifting, cooling experience
- Dilute it with other oils to create an effective, anti-inflammatory massage oil for post-workout
We are super pleased to launch our 100% Pure and Organic Brazilian Copaíba Superfruit oil as the 1st product in our upcoming Raw by Teadora DIY product launch. It can be used as your favorite super-powered facial oil or combined with other RAW ingredients or some of your home favorites for amazing homemade masks, muds, scrubs, etc. Enjoy 16% off your purchase of our pure Copaíba oil this weekend only as an introductory offer. No code necessary and FREE U.S. shipping on orders $25+.
Our Red Clay Salt Scrub and Masque also contains this beneficial oil and it is currently on summer sale for 50% off, don’t miss out.
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.