Maracujá is the Portuguese name for the superfruit more commonly known as passion fruit. The name maracujá comes from a word in Paraguayan Guaraní that means “nursery for flies” - probably because the juicy pulp of the fruit contains around 250 black seeds. These seeds are very rich with a nourishing oil, which offers some wonderful benefits when used as an ingredient in skin care. The oil can also come from the passion flower plant.
The Amazonian superfruit maracujá (also known as passionfruit) is rich with some wonderful vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, fiber, and the B vitamins riboflavin and niacin. It also has a high content of essential fatty acids, calcium and phosphorus. Maracujá oil also has an astounding number of benefits when consumed or applied.
Benefits of Maracujá
Like many of the other Amazonian superfruits we use in our skincare products, maracujá oil is a superior emollient that has some other benefits when used on your skin:
- Light texture with protective properties to prevent moisture from leaving the skin
- Readily penetrates the skin to deeply moisturize
- Heals dry, chapped or cracked skin
- Balances the skin’s moisture
- Reduces inflammation to help treat acne, rashes and other skin conditions
- Scavenges free radicals with its antioxidant properties, preventing damage
- Relieves itching
- Conditions, repairs and nourishes hair
Additionally, studies have shown that acne-prone skin is usually deficient in linoleic acid, and thanks to maracujá oil’s high linoleic acid content, it will help to balance the skin and prevent acne.
7 Outstanding Uses of Maracujá Oil
Maracujá oil is known as the “pure miracle” in Brazil, and there are several ways to use it effectively for skin, hair and more!
- Apply to sun-damaged skin to treat sun spots and other free-radical damage
- Maracujá oil is a phenomenal moisturizer for skin and hair
- Anti-acne treatment
- Treats and relieves inflammation and itching
- Soothe achy and tired muscles by massaging maracujá oil into the sore areas
- Inhale maracujá oil to relieve anxiety
- Drop a little bit on your pillow to help combat insomnia
Our new Shimmering Superfruit Oil, When in Rio features maracujá oil alongside copaíba, buriti and açaí oils to nourish the skin while adding lustrous shimmer. It’s also one of the ingredients in our much-loved Multi-Tasking Oil and popular Beauty Butter for face and body, bringing you the moisturizing, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory benefits of maracujá from head to toe!
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.