The oil comes from the Brazilian Pequi tree fruit (Caryocar brasiliense), and it is extracted by boiling the peeled fruit and stirring the concoction until the precious oil rises to the top. The unrefined pequi oil is then skimmed off with a large spoon to be heated and filtered for cold-pressing.
Visual Properties: Pale yellow (or dark amber), viscous consistency
Aroma: Fruity, sweet, nutty
Origin: Extracted from the seeds of the pequi tree fruit
Uses: Foods, juices, liqueur, health treatment, skincare & haircare
Nutrients in Pequi Hair Oil
Pequi hair oil is jam-packed with nourishing vitamins and minerals that contribute to its moisturizing and treatment capabilities, including:
- Oleic and Linoleic Fatty acids (44.2% palmitic acid and 51.7% oleic acid, and also linolenic and stearic acids)
- Carotenoids (Omegas: 3, 6,9)
- Pro Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
How Pequi Oil Benefits Hair
With these wonderful, beneficial nutrients, pequi oil offers some fantastic benefits when you add the 100% pure oil to your hair care regimen:
- Makes hair soft, smooth and radiant
- Restores shine to dull, brittle hair
- Nourishes and relieves dry or damaged hair
- Incredibly lightweight, so it can be used daily
- Forms a protective barrier to lock moisture in for longer
- Retains perfect curls
- Helps reduce frizz - pequi oil is especially good for curly hair
The anti-frizz capabilities with pequi oil for curly hair are outstanding and often overlooked. Although curly hair is quite common, it’s often misunderstood and it responds very differently to shampoo, conditioner and styling products and heat treatments than straight hair types. Curly hair is also unique among itself, varying from tighter spirals to soft waves.
How to Use Pequi for Hair Care
While you can add a few drops of 100% pure pequi oil to your shampoo or conditioner for easy moisturization and treatment, there are a few more enriching haircare treatments with the oil:
- Massage pequi oil into your hair before shampoo & conditioner, to maximize the results.
- Add a few drops to your hands and apply evenly to your hair starting from your scalp to the ends. Apply both morning and evening or throughout the day as needed.
- Use it as a deep conditioning treatment to fight brittle or damaged hair and prevent and treat split ends.
- Use it as a serum before blow-drying or styling hair to control frizz and moisturize.
Other Health Benefits of Pequi Oil
When ingested, pequi oil has some impressive benefits for the body and its overall health, while when applied topically to the skin, it has other enriching and treatment potential:
- Rich in mono-saturated fatty acids to decrease cholesterol and improve heart health
- Anti-inflammatory properties and nutrients such as potassium to control high blood pressure
- Rich in antioxidants such as carotenoids, Pro-Vitamin A to improve your vision
- Benefits your digestive systems
- Contains nourishing fatty acids to moisturize and hydrate your skin
- Helps keep skin looking young and smooth and nourished when applied twice daily (prevents signs of premature aging)
- Excellent body oil for massage
We are excited to launch our organic Raw Pequi Hair Oil in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, check out our other raw Amazonian superfruit oils including the effective anti-inflammatory Copaíba Essential Oil or our Raw Vitamin C Maracujá Oil.
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.