The ingredients we put into our products are incredibly important to us, as a B-Corp, we are commitment to sourcing the highest quality, sustainably-harvested ingredients, but effectiveness and results are also at the forefront, lucky for us, the Amazon rainforest has some of the highest performance, exotic ingredients on earth so you don’t have to sacrifice performance over naturals.
So, we are taking a few minutes to talk about the most special and dynamic Brazilian biome ingredients featured in our customers’ favorite products, starting with our pure and organic Copaíba Essential oil.
[ Related Article: “All About Copaíba Oil” ]
5 Facts About Copaíba Oil
- Scientific Details: Organic Copaifera Officinalis (Balsam Copaíba) Resin, Tocopherol is a resin from the Copaifera reticulata tree.
- Production: Copaíba oil constitutes approximately 95% of Brazil’s total oil resin production, at around 500 tons per year. For us it is key that we work closely with sustainable tree-tapping communities who ensure the oil resin is obtained by non-aggressive techniques. After extraction the hole is sealed with clay or the resin itself for plant protection, thereby allowing the possibility of other collections in the same trunk. Subsequent collections will yield oil resin in amounts equal to or greater than the first withdrawal and there is no danger to the tree.
- History: In South America, especially Brazilians have been using copaíba oil as a naturopath medicine and skincare treatment for centuries
- Skin Care Uses: Anti-inflammatory, acne-fighting
- Top Nutrients: Beta caryophyllene (a terpene and the chief anti-inflammatory nutrient, which may be neuroprotective and have cardiovascular and immune benefits) and the anti-irritant alpha humulene. BCP is also found in smaller quantities in CBD (not to be confused with Hemp Seed Oil), and therefore one of the reasons Copaíba is commonly used for the same properties as CBD oil.
Why Copaíba Oil is Good for Your Skin
As the ultimate Brazilian Essential Oil, Copaíba brings some incredible benefits to your skin when you use it regularly. It’s so good for your skin and makes a perfect compliment to everything from your daily moisturizer, blemish spot treatment to DIY treatments!
[ Related Article: “Copaíba vs. Hemp (CBD) Oil for Skin” ]
Copaíba essential oil is packed with some nourishing vitamins and minerals that:
- Restore moisture and plumpness
- Help treat acne, blemishes, redness, irritation, and mild skin injuries quickly, reducing their appearance
- Help naturally heal skin infections and inflammation
- Relax and soothe the skin
- Improve skin smoothness and tone
Due to Copaíba’s high anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it is known to work really well for common chronic skin complaints like acne, psoriasis, and eczema. Of course, we always recommend you consult your medical or naturopath professional, but there have been great customer feedback and results
Some of lesser-known, but yet amazing benefits of copaíba oil, when taken internally, is that it can help soothe anxiety while supporting important anatomical systems including your cardiovascular, immune, digestive, nervous, and respiratory systems.* In my homeland, it is often taken orally to help with sore throats and upper-respiratory infections. As a lover of naturopath remedies, this is one of the oils that my mother added to our wellness routine when I was growing up. For internal usage, it can be mixed with water, juice or your favorite team. One of our family favorites is to add a couple of drops to chamomile tea, it also ads an awesome “forest bathing aroma” given Copaíba’s woodsy, piney and spicy scent. When taken at night dime it helps to relax and unwind.
How to Use Copaíba Oil to Benefit Your Skin & Overall Wellness
Copaíba is an extremely-powerful tree resin that you can use on its own as well as mixed in with other natural ingredients to bring even greater health benefits and results to your skincare regimen. Here are just a few ideas of the things you can do with our Copaíba essential oil:
- Moisturizing Primer: Use the oil on its own after cleansing and before applying your makeup for a powerful moisturizer that also helps prevent breakouts throughout the day.
- Natural Spot Treatment: Treat blemishes by applying the oil (using a cotton ball or pad) to areas of redness or developing acne. Copaíba oil is also a natural astringent, shrinking the pores to prevent clogging.
- Nighttime Treatment: Protect, moisturize and fight the effects of aging throughout the night by massaging a few drops into your face before bed. Pat your face to finish, and follow-up with your favorite moisturizing cream if desired. This treatment will also help firm the skin under your eyes and fight sagging.
- Gentle, Effective Makeup Remover: Gently cleanse away stubborn makeup particles with the oil’s soothing, yet effective benefits.
- Support for Injury Repair Treatment: Being one of nature’s most powerful anti-inflammatory substances, copaíba promotes faster healing of injuries when applied to the site of a wound. It also helps cleanse and prevent infection as a natural disinfectant.
- Support for Stretch Mark Treatment: Those natural anti-inflammatory properties come into play again to help make stretch marks less visible - just massage the oil directly to stretch marks on a daily basis and you should see fading within a few weeks.
Contrary to some belief, it is not necessary to mix Copaíba with a carrier oil for application to skin. This is completely up to you and mainly driven by 2 factors: 1) cost or 2) whether or not you prefer to add the scent/properties of one of your other favorite essential oils in case you prefer to break down the woodsy scent of Copaíba, especially if applied to face. Most formulators mix it due to cost, it is not an inexpensive carrier oil. Of course make sure your Copaíba is not counterfeit and also it is pure. Our Copaíba is 99.95% Copaíba and we added 0.05% Vitamin E as a preservative, which is also great for your health.
We recommend a shelf life of no more than 2 Years. There is also some belief that essential oils do not have an expiration date, but that is primarily due to the fact that the FDA do not require companies to publish an expiration date, however, the reality is that oils start to oxidate the minute the bottle is open and therefore, you should always make sure they are used w/in a reasonable amount of time to avoid oxidation, one of the primary reasons we added Vitamin E which helps to maintain its shelf life. Keeping it in cool location, with little exposure to light, such as your bathroom cabinet also helps to better preserve your product.
We have had many requests from customers who prefer to have their essential oils in amber bottles and have decided to offer both amber and clear, which you will soon be able to select based on your preference. We are also creating a 10ML roll on version which is perfect for your bag your for your purse.
Click here to find out how to use your Copaíba Oil in awesome DIY mask recipes.
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.
Copaíba Oil is also an ingredient in other Teadora products:
Brazilian Dual Superfruit Power Oil
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Pam on February 04, 2019
I see that you are suggesting that it can be used “internally” yet you are saying it is not FDA-approved….I’m confused. I thought that the FDA had to regulate Oils that were taken internally?
Back to Brazilian Beauty Secrets: The Teadora Blog