Much like cupuaçu butter’s elasticity-building benefits for skin, murumuru butter is another rejuvenating and moisturizing ingredient for beauty treatment products. It comes from a palm tree that’s native to the Brazilian Amazon rainforest: the astrocaryum murumuru. The palm tree grows seeds that produce a wonderful creamy butter that is nourishing for both skin and hair.
The butter is rich with beneficial fatty acids including oleic, myristic, and lauric acids. It has natural preservative properties, which makes it an excellent partial substitute for cocoa butter in chocolate because its firmer consistency keeps chocolate from melting as quickly in warmer environments. Murumuru butter also has a low acidity value, which reduces the cost to refine it.
It’s important to note the environmental and community benefits of the extraction of murumuru butter. The natural product is extracted by local Amazonian people living in remote areas, so its purchase helps make these communities more prosperous. Murumuru butter is part of the ‘Fair Trade’ program, so farmers of the butter are paid more fairly for it and their communities benefit. The extraction of murumuru butter also has a profound effect on the future of the Amazon rainforest, since the production of the butter slows the cutting down of trees because these palm trees are more valuable for their butter production than timber.
Benefits of Murumuru Butter
In contrast to its popular counterpart coconut oil, murumuru butter provides better moisturizing, restorative, and conditioning properties for hair and skin. Murumuru butter is rich with Vitamin A and C, and has excellent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. In addition, murumuru butter leaves a protective layer on the skin and hair after application, guarding against pollutants and free radicals without clogging pores. Murumuru butter keeps hair softer for longer.
- Soothes, protects and moisturizes all skin types
- Helps restore skin’s barrier and reduce water loss
- Reconstructs skin cells for natural rejuvenation
- Stimulates collagen performance
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps restore skin’s elasticity
- Fights acne and helps heal abrasions
- Treats skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
- Maintains curls
- Nourishes and strengthens hair roots
- Treats dry, damaged or frizzy hair
- Fortifies hair from the inside, out
- Boosts hair shine
Ways to Use Murumuru Butter
Murumuru butter is most commonly used as an ingredient in all natural body butters like ours or other skin and hair care products. It is not normally used on its own, although it most certainly can be used as a standalone treatment. Most commonly, it’s an ingredient. Since it is odorless (for most people), murumuru butter is an excellent ingredient to combine with other oils or butters including tucuma butter.
Some of the best ways to use murumuru butter, whether combined with other ingredients for an all-natural treatment or alone include:
- Wash your skin with murumuru butter in the shower as a more moisturizing alternative to soap
- Use murumuru butter as a shaving cream to lock in moisture as you shave
- When used as a massage cream, the butter effectively penetrates the deep layers of the skin
- Melt a tablespoon of the butter and massage it through damp hair as a pre-shampooing conditioner
- Mix murumuru butter with other oils such as macadamia nut oil, sunflower seed oil, hemp seed oil, avocado oil and jojoba oil to make a nourishing hair mask treatment
Murumuru butter is an ingredient in our proprietary Rainforest Restoration Elixir. It’s in Teadora’s popular Beauty Butter, which is much-loved for its moisturizing, skin-rejuvenating benefits. The butter is also an ingredient in our Anti-Pollution Facial Mist.
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.
Back to Brazilian Beauty Secrets: The Teadora Blog