It is indeed the most wonderful time of the year… but maybe not so very wonderful for your skin if you don’t treat it right. Two of the most important things to keep on your mind with a winter skincare regimen is fighting blemishes and irritations and keeping your skin moisturized.
How to Avoid Acne Through the Holidays
Even if your skin is not normally acne-prone, your diet around the holidays may contribute to breakouts and irritations. This is because spikes in blood sugar caused by consuming extra sweets can increase your body’s production of oils and result in breakouts. Refined grains are such as bread, desserts made with white flour, and chocolate are also foods that can cause breakouts to occur. In addition to avoiding these foods (or at least minimizing your consumption of them), you should follow a beauty routine designed for preventing acne and promoting clear skin. You can check out our recent blog that goes into more detail, but here are the basic steps:
- Use a gentle, yet effective cleanser and avoid harsh bar soaps & always choose sulfate-free.
- Apply a protective toner that doesn’t contain alcohol.
- Exfoliate a few times each week to detoxify your skin and remove dead skin cells.
- Moisturize throughout the day.
Steps to Stay Moisturized in Wintertime
When the weather outside gets frightful, you’re likely to get all cuddled up inside with a roaring fire - or at least crank up the heat. Both heat sources are also pretty dehydrating for your skin, drawing moisture out of the air. Keep your skin moisturized to the max by following these important steps:
- After cleansing and toning your skin each morning, and before applying makeup if you’re going to wear any, use a hydrating facial oil (this one is powerfully multi-tasking and can be used on both your skin and hair for nourishing moisture). Our Dual Superfruit oil is also perfect for this purpose, and better yet, it’s great for sensitive and blemish-prone skin to help fight acne as well.
- Once you’ve applied an oil, lock in the moisture with a rich moisturizer cream or butter. This customer favorite Beauty Butter is packed with deeply moisturizing superfruit ingredients including açaí, andiroba, babassu, Brazil nut, buriti, murumuru and cupuaçu. You can apply this butter all over your body after your shower, and it’s also gentle enough for use on your face.
- When your environment is dehydrating both indoors and out, you will want to moisturize throughout the day. This time of year often brings seasonal illness such as colds and other viruses, so you’ll probably be washing your hands more than usual - either to prevent yourself from contracting and spreading germs, or to sanitize after coughing or sneezing. Be sure to include moisturizing to that process, to prevent your hands from drying out and cracking. You might also want to apply moisturizer to your face and body throughout the day.
For both preventing acne and promoting moisturization, drink lots of water throughout the winter season! This will help to keep you hydrated from the inside, out and benefit your skin immensely.
Happy Holidays, and love yourself, find your joy, share your passion this season.