We just can’t get enough of these wonderful, natural oils and butters that come from the Amazonian rainforest! Pracaxi is one of the latest that we’ve introduced in our new RAW by Teadora collection and is one of the only two (2) ingredients crafted in our new Brazilian Dual Superfruit Power Oil, working together with copaíba oil to regenerate, soften and hydrate the skin. In addition to working well with other oils like copaíba, pracaxi is wonderfully beneficial on its own.
The name “pracaxi” is actually the Portuguese name for the Pentaclethra macroloba tree where the oil comes from. It is produced by drying the seeds of the tree, then pressing them to extract the oil. Drier pracaxi seeds will produce a darker, stronger-smelling oil because they have a higher concentration of behenic acid. Pracaxi actually has one of the highest natural concentrations of behenic acid, which is a fatty acid that creates a protective barrier against pollution and environmental hazards for both skin and hair. Pracaxi is also very rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, primarily oleic (omega 9) and linoleic (omega 6) which promote firmness.
Benefits of Pracaxi
The rich fatty acid content in pracaxi provides restoring hydration, nourishing lubrication and anti-inflammatory properties when used in hair or skincare. Some of the other benefits of pracaxi as an ingredient in beauty products include:
- Provides regenerative and softening properties to skin and hair.
- Helps promote balanced collagen production to help heal wounds and reduce scarring
- Helps to prevent abnormal scar formation
- Effective treatment for hyperpigmentation
- Helps to reduces the appearance of stretch marks
- Strong antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-hemorrhagic properties
- Keeps hair moisturized, deeply hydrating (particularly beneficial for naturally curly hair)
- Natural mosquito repellant
- Protects the skin and hair from environmental damage
- Highly absorptive, increasing the efficacy of other ingredients when combined with pracaxi oil
Ways to Use Pracaxi
There are several ways to use for both hair and skin:
- Provides deep, dry moisture while helping to reduce fine lines
- Healing treatment for burns and scars
- Skin lightener for pregnancy marks
- Natural treatment for melasma and sun or aging spots (inhibits melanin biosynthesis)
- Natural hair detangler
- Hair brightener and strengthener (reduces hair loss) - click here for an effective pre-shampoo hair mask featuring pracaxi, which helps condition, soften and improve shine
- Emollient in lotions, creams, shampoos, conditioners and other topical products
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.