The first day of summer officially arrives in just a few days, so it’s time to start thinking about summertime skin care and additional protective measures you can take to prevent UV rays from damaging your skin.
In addition to sunburn and skin cancer, UV damage can speed up the signs of aging and break down the collagen in your skin to cause more fine lines, wrinkles and premature dark spots. Sun protection is the number-one most important step in your summertime skin care. You should always apply sunscreen before you go outdoors, re-applying as needed after getting wet or after spending longer periods of time in the sun. Make sure you use at least 30+spf at all times and it is always good practice to make sure you use a good facial sunscreen on top of any other skincare or make-up products you use that may offer spf protection as well. Don’t just count on the sun protection of products that are not 100% designed to solely provide UV protection. This is a common mistake that a lot of people make.
Pure Buriti oil is a natural superfruit oil that comes from the Amazon, and studies have shown that its photo-protective qualities helps provide additional sun protection and improves the effectiveness of your own sunscreen by increasing its absorption & protection by 3x. This is because the oil is rich with powerful antioxidants, which help prevent photo-damage and protect the skin from harmful UV rays. It’s no wonder that communities in the Amazon have used Buriti successfully for UV protection for generations.
Buriti oil comes from a fruit that grows on the moriche palm (Mauritia Flexuosa in Latin), which is native to South America and especially Brazil and the Amazon region. In Peru, buriti oil is known as aguaje oil or aguaje fruit oil.
[ Related: All About Buriti Oil ]
In its natural form, 100% organic aguaje oil or pure buriti oil has natural screening properties to protect skin from free radicals and UV rays. However, you shouldn’t use aguaje oil or buriti oil as sunscreen on its own since it is not FDA approved as SPF.
Buriti Oil & Aguaje Oil as Sunscreen
Buriti oil shields the skin from UVA and UVB rays, which are potentially damaging with regard to sun burns and signs of aging. This makes aguaje oil as sunscreen an all-natural choice for protection from the sun. Native Amazonians have been using buriti oil as sunscreen for centuries.
The superfood oil has some important vitamin and mineral contents that help to protect as well as nourish and hydrate the skin:
- Pro-Vitamin A - Beta-carotene - This powerful antioxidant helps protect the skin against sun damage, free radicals and environmental pollutants. Buriti oil and beta-carotene are closely linked because the oil is the richest source of beta-carotene on Earth, with levels even higher than carrot seed oil. Given its high Beta-carotene content, Buriti boasts a beautiful, reddish color, which also gives you a natural sun-kissed tint during and after sun exposure. It also helps to prevent wrinkles.
- Vitamin C & E - Aguaje oil is a rich source of Vitamins C and E, which work together to boost the production of collagen in your skin. These important vitamins also improve the protection of your skin from free radicals.
- Essential Fatty Acids - Buriti oil’s contents of essential fatty acids help to boost your skin’s healing and rejuvenation capabilities by stimulating collagen and elastin production. This also helps to firm and tighten the skin to keep it looking supple and youthful, while improving elasticity.
All of these amazing components also make buriti a powerful moisturizer, here are some impressive clinical results from the use of Buriti Oil on Skin:
Buriti 3% 8hrs
Trans-epidermal Water Loss (*)
(*) less water loss, better the improvements in elasticity/firmness.
During the summer when the sun is closer and we’re more likely to get sunburned from more exposure, aguaje and buriti oil can come into play during the healing and recovery process, so a great oil to use for post-sun care.
Since the oil has a natural anti-inflammatory reaction, applying it to sun-burned skin can tame the redness, soothe sensitive areas, and even relieve conditions like eczema or psoriasis.
[ Related: How Buriti Protects & Strengthens Hair & Skin ]
Aguaje oil and buriti oil are also very gentle, with a comedogenic rating of just 2, so it should not irritate or inflame even sensitive skin types.
Other Benefits of Buriti Oil & Aguaje Oil
In addition to its sun protection capabilities, the oil benefits your skin in other ways when added to your summertime skin care:
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Rejuvenates and restores the skin’s elasticity
- Strengthens skin cell membranes to keep them healthier for longer
- Rebuilds and moisturizes skin cells
- Fights skin conditions such as rashes, redness, irritation and roughness
[ Related: Buriti Oil vs. Coconut Oil ]
For best results when adding Raw Buriti Sun Oil in your skin care routine, apply it to damp skin immediately after showering to get the maximum benefits of the oil. If your skin is particularly sensitive, you should always test it on a small portion of your skin such as your wrist prior to using it on your face or the rest of your body. Add a couple of drops to your sunscreen to increase its absorbance and protection by 3x, while moisturizing and improving your skin’s elasticity. Apply post sun exposure for antioxidant protection and water loss prevention.
If you are not already, make sure you sign up to our email list in order to be one of the first ones to order our Limited Summer Edition: Organic, Raw Buriti Suncare Oil, which we have sustainably harvested with the help of our Amazon communities.
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.
Back to Brazilian Beauty Secrets: The Teadora Blog