The Amazon rainforest is a vibrant and important region, offering a unique bounty of foods and natural resources while also facilitating the management of greenhouse gases with its lush trees and vegetation. One of the wonderful natural resources of the Amazonian region is the Brazil nut, which grows on a tree that, luckily, is illegal to cut down.
The Brazil nut tree is one of the largest in the Amazon rainforests, and can reach 160 feet tall with a trunk of 3-6 feet in diameter. It can live for more than 500 years; some authorities say that the Brazil nut tree often lives about 1,000 years. A single tree can produce as much as 250 pounds of Brazil nuts in just one year.
What Are Brazil Nuts?
Since the trees flowers can only be pollinated by a handful of large-bodied bee species who aren’t present in disturbed forests, Brazil nut trees only produce fruit in pristine forests. Although the nuts have been produced on plantations, production is low and unviable economically. Brazil nuts are 1.5 to 2-inch long seeds within the fruit, which resembles a coconut.
Benefits of Brazil Nut Oil
Brazil nuts are packed with vitamins and minerals including Vitamins A, B-6, B-12, C, and D, as well as magnesium, calcium and iron. They are also very rich in fatty acids, protein, fiber, copper, thiamine and antioxidants.
As a food, Brazil nuts are the richest on the planet for selenium, which is anti-viral, reduces the risk of cancer, autoimmune and thyroid diseases and is also essential for both male and female reproduction and fertility. They also offer some great anti-inflammatory properties.
There are many benefits of brazil nut oil for your skin and hair, as well. Like babassu and cupuaçu, Brazil nut oil is an excellent natural skin moisturizer and can be used all over your body. Its rich mineral and vitamin contents makes it ideal for healing dry or damaged skin. When used as an ingredient in skin care products, brazil nut oil moisturizes the skin and because of its rejuvenating properties, Brazil nut oil is an effective anti-wrinkle treatment that plumps the skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and aging.
When used for skin care or hair treatment, Brazil nut oil..
- Gives skin a healthy glow
- Improves skin elasticity to prevent premature aging
- Removes free radicals from the skin cells, preventing wrinkles and skin cancer
- Is an excellent emollient to prevent dryness as well as conditions such as eczema and psoriasis
- Protects the skin from harmful UV rays
- Encourages cellular repair and growth
- Is rich in omega 3s, Vitamin E and selenium to make hair healthy, shiny and less prone to breakage
Ways to Use Brazil Nut Oil
The use of Brazil nut oil for skin care and hair treatment is highly effective. Some of the reasons why it is included in skin and hair care products include:
- Powerful moisturizer for both skin and hair
- Treats dry or damaged skin
- Reduces the appearance of aging
- Protects against acne or lessen its appearance
- Treats dry, brittle or damaged hair
- Encourages healthy hair growth and helps treat alopecia or male baldness
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.