It’s been said that a our hair is her crowning glory, and when our hair is soft, shiny and healthy-looking, “glory” is certainly an appropriate term. We all put a lot of time into treating our hair and taking extra steps to try to increase shine, but they don’t necessarily think about the ingredients in the products they’re using. Unfortunately, many common and popular brand-name shampoos contain really harmful ingredients that not only contribute to more split ends and dryness, but are also quite harmful to you and the environment.
For this reason, vegan shampoos are a far better choice if you want to improve the health of your hair (and therefore its shine and beauty) without harming the environment. Its equally important to ensure that your vegan shampoo is developed with no animal testing to develop, so it is cruelty-free and guilt-free for consumers. Just because a product is Vegan it does not automatically qualifies it as cruelty-free. All ingredients must be certified cruelty-free in order for you to ensure no animals were harmed in the process. Look for an acknowledged cruelty-free seal and search the entities site to make sure the brand you select is not simply using a logo without certifying it, it happens.
Vegan shampoos generally do not have nasty, harsh ingredients, which is important not just for adults but especially for children who are more susceptible to these ingredients. Hair loss has even been a side effect from using regular branded shampoos! Vegan shampoos contain a higher quantity of natural and organic ingredients, and absolutely no animal by-products. One common non-vegan ingredient in vegan shampoos is lanolin which is generally not vegan. When in doubt research the ingredients well.
It is particularly difficult to find professional salon quality vegan shampoos so there is a good balance of ingredients that are safe to use with lots of natural and organic ingredients to generate the results needed.
Some of the advantages of using vegan shampoos over non-vegan shampoos include:
- No Additives: Popular shampoos often contain parabens, sodium sulfates, synthetic fragrances and known harmful silicones, which can cause dry hair and an itchy scalp or worse - exposure to unhealthy chemicals.
- Natural Ingredients & scents: Vegan shampoo are more often made up with lots of natural, plant based ingredients, such as argan oil, aloe, jojoba oil, buriti oil, cupuaçu butter and kaolin clays, which benefit hair with nourishing vitamins, nutrients and of course, moisture. A lot of synthetic fragrances hide not non-vegan ingredients, but sometimes harsh chemicals, look for natural fragrances made out of essential oils.
- Protective Advantage: One of the major problems with non-vegan shampoos is that the harsh chemicals and additives strip the hair of its natural protective coating. Alternatively, vegan shampoos don’t harm your hair’s existing oils and in fact, protect the hair even more with the nourishing essential oils they bring to the picture.
- Hypoallergenic: Many non-vegan shampoos are made with various harsh chemical compounds and animal by-products, which can cause irritation or even an allergic reaction. Since vegan shampoos are use non-harsh chemicals and lots of natural, plant ingredients, they are far more gentle on sensitive skin.
- Environmental Sustainability: The ingredients in vegan shampoos are biodegradable, environmentally friendly and ethically sourced, and the containers they come in are often made from recyclable materials as well. When you use vegan shampoos as an alternative to the brand-name shampoos with nasty ingredients, you will contribute to a more sustainable future. When choosing plastic, always make sure it is made from post consumer recycle and PET 1 plastic, which is the most recyclable.
Vegan shampoos are usually healthier for your hair, promoting shine and hydration. The natural ingredients treat your hair follicles with oils and plant extracts to protect and nourish from the roots to the ends. Vegan shampoos are available for all types of hair, and can treat everything from dandruff and dry scalp to frizzies. Not all Vegan shampoos however are free of the most harsh chemicals, so always pay attention to the ingredient list. Look for ingredient transparency, and when in doubt, look up ingredients on SkinDeep, which is a great source for truthful ingredient information. You want to always stay away from anything that rates any higher than a 4 on EWG’s SkinDeep, particularly if it is used in high quantities and within certain parameters.
Teadora’s Miracle Shampoo is a much-loved hair care staple for any beauty routine. It’s sulfate-free and vegan, and packed with powerful superfruit oils & butters that are rich in antioxidants and vitamins. As one of our happy customers said, “I love, love, love the shampoo and conditioner. It makes my hair soft and shiny and I love the fact that it is full of natural ingredients and free of harsh chemicals. Having had breast cancer I am always looking for ways to add less harmful products to my life.”
Follow your Teadora shampoo treatment with our deeply moisturizing Conditioner for best results!
Love yourself, find your joy, share your passion.